My oldest and I have a rough time of it. I can't say boo to him without eliciting some kind of ill response - except when it comes to bedtime, when he melts into the sweet boy he is. Smiling as we cuddle and read a book.
Last night JJ and I were laughing our heads off over the book "The book with no pictures". It is a book designed to say silly things to crack the reader up. It is right up JJ's alley, true to his sense of humor.
ST doesn't think that it's funny. He tends to think it's kind of phoney, but he requested to read the same book just b/c JJ and I were having such fun with it. In fact, the book tends to have the opposite bedtime effect on JJ, it stimulates him giddy.
But I know why ST wanted that book. He becomes almost euphoric at the point in the book that makes the reader feel loved and smart, when it talks about how the kid who chose this book is the smartest/best kid ever in the whole world.
He may not take delight in me saying "BOOBOOBUTT" or singing "glug, glug, glug, my face is a bug. I eat ants for breakfast right of the ruuuuuuuug" the way JJ just dies over it, but he gets an entirely different message and one that his heart desires most.
To feel smart and loved and the best kid ever in the entire world. In his world, there are 3 brothers to compete for Mommy's attention, but in that moment, at the end of the day, as we cuddle close and talk, he is #1.
That is a Mom win right there and I feel #1.
No comments:
Post a Comment