Friday, September 25, 2015

National Daughter's Day

I figure today warrants it's own blog post.

Daughter's Day.

I bet it feels like Mother's Day to a woman who is unable to bear children and laments over it, or a mother who has lost a child.  Maybe not that bad.  Most likely not that bad.

It's easy to fall into self pity.

But I am a mother.  To 4 healthy and most beautiful boys to ever grace this world.

I am a daughter.  I hope I am the kind of daughter that helps my mother missing her own mother.  The kind of relationship that is the foundation for both of us to draw our inner strength from.

I will always feel as if I am or will be the mother to a daughter.  Maybe I will be, or will be the best MIL ever.   Being a mother to sons, it's its own kind of special, and maybe not that different mothering a daughter as well, maybe I'm the only one who makes that distinction in my mind.

I have been struggling recently with the notion of no more babies added to our family.  I feel I'm at my limit of physical and emotional capabilities in balancing the 4 boys, yet feel as if one more has to be.  I'm also left wondering if a fifth is a boy, if I'll still always feel as if one more needs to be.  So this is where I'm at.  At the verge of moving on, yet don't feel ready to.  Stagnant, and if I have time to dwell on it, it can consume me yet again.

So I take this day, not to lament, but to rejoice in the female relationships I am blessed with in my life. 

My mother, the glue that holds me together. 

My SILs I've been blessed with. 

One  who I call on practically a daily basis now that I have the free time to do so, who gets where I'm at because we're both in the same stage. 

One who has been there for us in some of our most urgently needed times.  Both were in our wedding, both are godmothers to at least one of the boys.

My MIL who is about the best MIL anyone could ask for, regardless of her overly invasive cleaning tendencies, I'm even at the point of asking for 'Mom' when my FIL answers their phone, not that I can directly call it to her face, but she's as close as.

My BFF since high school.  I can shoot her a message any time of day and she is one of the most caring people I've known.  Regardless of the situation or emotions, she's been the wind beneath my wings when I'm falling at times.  Also one of the boys' godmother.

It's these woman in my life who make me realize I'm not alone and never will be regardless of how many boys enter my life, they are there to balance it out, and today I celebrate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment