Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First Day Jitters

I'll just start this post by stating the obvious...ST is a worrier.  In fact, we read the book 'Wemberly Worried' the night before the first day of school.  It may as well be a book about him. 

Worrying if he'll forget where his classroom is, mind you, we just visited to drop off supplies 4 days before the first day so he wouldn't worry. 
Worried he'd be on a different bus. 
Worried that he'd have gym the first day and they would do 'karaoke' that he couldn't keep up with.
Does JJ's sneakers need batteries?
Listing specifically what he wants for lunch.
Rehearsing the directions to his classroom.
Reminding JJ that he's in a different school.
Worried that I wouldn't remember to get them off the bus.

His stomach was in knots and he was doubled over as the bus appeared.  He told JJ that he was lucky since he's just excited and not worried.

And JJ was.  All smiles, first to get dressed, exclaiming "I'm going to make new friends!" Running to board the bus.

AJ who doesn't start preschool for a few days - which will warrant it's own post I bet - was busy chasing a chipmunk and flicking at his toy rubber bat he hung on the lamppost, which was good because it helped distract ST from worrying - brothers come in handy sometimes.  And EJP just wanted to keep wandering toward the road.

When ST was worried I wouldn't remember to be out at the end of our driveway waiting for him upon returning home, I explained it to him like this...
each of the boys is a piece of my heart, so four pieces.  So him and JJ are half of my heart, now how could I forget when I'm waiting for half of my heart to come back to me.

That he understood and told me that me and Daddy are his 2 halves of his heart.

I teared up watching the bus drive away, with half of my heart sitting inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment