Monday, February 23, 2015

Medical Emergency

Let's face it, as a parent, there is about nothing worse than seeing blood coming from your child.

Our track record really isn't terrible as far as medical emergencies go. 

Mostly JJ has had his events - a head cut that gushed was an immediate 911 call, ambulance ride to the ER
Then he had a tick burrowing into the back of his head (especially when I tried to drown it with petroleum jelly and it really burrowed in) - I was so skeeved out, that was an ER visit as well. (Meanwhile, the same year, I found a tick crawling on AJ and I just picked it right off) :P
He had a tummy bug w/fever for days on end when he was nonverbal and I was concerned about dehydration, so we sat in the ER then too.  
Then he had a pretty major burn on the back of his leg -(tripped over a hot but turned off recently used push mower) but that was just a first of the morning rush to the dr's office - so yeah, JJ has had plenty of action.


Tonight was AJ's turn.  We were playing with bubbles with EJP's little bubble blowing wand.  Fun was had.  We were all standing near the dining table and AJ says blood is all over his foot.  I tell him it's not blood it's probably just bubbles that spilled, but I checked because it was just an odd thing for him to say.  Lo and behold, blood everywhere.  Mommy panic, carry him to the bathroom, wrap it with a wash cloth, dab it clean, see the 1/2"+ cut across his foot above his big toe.  What in the world, survey the whole house, wth is sharp?!  get him seated on the couch foot wrapped and propped up on a pillow, waiting for Daddy to come home and assess the damage.  Daddy finds the possible culprit - a nail poking out on a wrung of a dining chair - but we find that even being immobilized hasn't stopped the blood flow the minute he wiggles his big toe. 

It's just in a terrible spot to be.  Make a few phone calls, try many different bandages & wraps, nothing is working, I'm about ready to succumb to the fact that we may well be facing a trip to the ER and sit and wait for the next 6 hours tonight, when I finally dabbed the blood quick enough to get his foot dry enough for a butterfly adhesive to stick and pinch that sucker right tight.

Thank God.

Hoping that holds it well tonight.  Fingers crossed a trip to the doctor is not in our future tomorrow.

AJ will be getting extra Mommy snuggles tonight.  What a trauma, for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment