Saturday, April 2, 2016

Stages of Parenthood

While cooking breakfast this morning after getting woken up at almost 7am, with a wide grinning, tumbling, butt in my face, hit the ground running toddler, I was contemplating just how much perspective and experience has changed me as a person, as a mother, and how I tackle this thing called parenthood.

First baby mindset -
you are going to eat the food I give you
let's wash those hands the second they are dirty, going through a million wipes
any mess is a big deal, child is being naughty
even though the kid sleeps all night long after 4 months, and takes long naps, you think he's so terrible and you are SO exhausted
you are going to fit into my life
outings are pretty much the same except you try to work them around nap schedule
and there is a strict schedule, you even write it down the first few months
attempt potty training at 2 years old, does NOT go well wtf?

Second baby -
blows any expectations out the window
you are wild! I can't do this! You must have Autism! 
baby does not sleep through night for a year and a half!
We do not go out in social situations for 2 years.

Third baby -
the third one shouldn't be THIS needy!
what did I do?! 2 were so easy!
oh he's so sweet, look at the flowers, dig up some worms, swing as high as you can
hold him close, they grow so so fast
take 3 shopping, feel like super woman, yeah people look all you want, I got this!

Fourth baby -

MY baby, oh I love you so much, stay this little forever
oh my God I'm exhausted, I can't do this!
oh you are soooo CUTE, I could EAT you up!
I can't do this, I'm getting old!  too old to keep up!
naps are a luxury usually tempted in a good old car ride
there is no mess great enough that a simple bath won't fix, the floor covered in paint - it needed a good mop anyway
baby only gets dressed to leave the house
lays in sandbox on his belly
eats catfood and dog treats quite often, oh well, can't hurt him right?!
I fit into their life, their life is my life
my baby is growing and will go to school-what then? who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment